The injection of platelets to injured tissues is a novel technique that allows the recovery of ligaments, tendons, or other tissue that are damaged by a sports practice or the passage of time. Platelets are blood cells responsible for clotting. Today it is known that they also have growth factor tissue that helps the regeneration of damaged tissues. These components encourage a more favorable recovery. The technique is to draw blood from the patient, centrifuge to separate the Red glubulos, activate the platelet rich plasma and injecting it directly into the site of the injury.
It is a procedure that should only be carried out by a well trained physician with experience in the subject, as well as having a certified blood products processing center. The Dr. Hubert Aguilar, orthopedic concerns that Platelet Activation is necessary for granules that contain tissue growth factor are released and will achieve the desired result. This procedure is done in a daily basis and is yielding very positive results. Soft tissues it takes approximately 6 weeks to recover 95%, but the remaining 5% may take up to 6 months.
Platelet injection allows a faster, more efficient recovery in order to achieve that the sportsman or the injured person return to their activity faster. The response to treatment varies from patient to patient, but most people require 1 to 3 treatments, in certain cases some more. Each treatment is done by space of approximately 4 to 6 weeks of separation. There is no limit to the number of treatments that can be made in the time of months or years, risks and side effects do not change with the number of injections. Tendons are composed of collagen fibers and connect muscle to bone which makes it possible that you can carry out daily physical activities. Excessive damage to the tendons during a long period of time makes the fibers of collagen in tendons may form small deposits, a condition known as tendonosis. The damage occurs most often in the knee, ankle, shoulder, elbow, wrist, biceps, triceps, twins and Achilles tendon. When you use the patient’s own blood and eliminating risks of cross-infection or rejection associated with transfusions, the use of concentrate autologous platelet derived growth factors is used as a treatment to retrieve injury resulting from diseases by overuse, tendopathies and tears as well as partner to repair of cruciate ligaments injury.